Bork! Welcome to Reading with Muffy – the 2020 Monthly Reading Challenge. This is the introductory and sign-up page. If you are already following us on Instagram – Muffytales, you’d know that Mufasa aka Muffy, my Golden Retriever, is an ardent reader. He is loved by many bibliophiles and publishing houses and we truly appreciate the love you’ve showered upon us. Therefore, as a thank you gesture, we’ve come up with this challenge.
Muffy and I, want you to read more this year and thus, our sole aim is to spread the joy and love of reading.
We are excited to embark on this reading journey with you where we’d be giving some fun and interesting prompts for you to conform to. The prompts chosen are fairly simpler making it easier for you to slay your already existing TBR than having to buy new books to fit the criteria.
So, get that kettle on, find a cozy nook and soft throws and dive straight into the rules, sign-up steps, prompts and prizes for Reading with Muffy- The 2020 Monthly Reading Challenge.
Reading with Muffy- The 2020 Monthly Reading Challenge
How it Works
- Reading with Muffy is a Monthly Reading Challenge that runs from 01 Jan 2020, 0000hrs to 31 Dec 2020, 2359hrs. (your time zone)
- There are 20 book prompts to this Reading Challenge.
a. One prompt will be given for each month and all you’ve to do is read one book that fits the prompt for that month.
b. Eight additional prompts are also given (making it a total of 12+8=20 prompts) which you can read at leisure.
c. You may choose to read any book that fits the prompt in the format of your choice.
d. You may choose to complete just 12 or all 20 book prompts. However, to be eligible for the Mega-Prize, you ought to complete all 20.
- To be eligible for this Reading Challenge,
a. Sign Up! (details are given below)
b. Share your monthly reads on Instagram using the hashtag #ReadingwithMuffy. You may also tag @Muffytales.
However, we would request you to leave your reviews on the monthly Check-in posts here, on the blog, so that we can keep a track of your progress without much hassle. The Check-in posts will go live on the 25th of every month and will be open till the 5th of the following month.
Please note that YOU NEED NOT BE A BLOGGER to leave a link on the check-in posts. You may submit your social media links or blog posts to be considered as a valid entry.
- And now, for the most exciting part of the challenge! The PRIZES! Yes, you heard that right!
a. There will be one winner every month who will receive a brand new book and Muffy-approved bookish goodies.
b. At the end of the challenge, there will be one Mega-Winner who gets to take home the enchanting Cafe Mocha Box by The Big Book Box. I’d like to thank TBB Box for sponsoring this prize. The winner will be chosen from amongst those who successfully complete all the 20 Book Prompts.
c. The prizes will be sent to a valid Indian address only.
Reading with Muffy – Prompts
January ~ Of Boops, Bleps, and Borks!
January is my pupper’s Barkday. As Muffy turns Two on Jan 8, read a book with a dog on the cover or title of the book. You may also read a book where a dog is the protagonist.
February ~ Love is in the Air
Read a book with the word “Love”, “Kiss” or “Hug” in the title.
March ~ Celebrating Women
Read a book about a woman by a woman. Brownie points if the book also features a woman on the cover!
April ~ Oh, Seasons of the Year
Read a book that has a season in the title. eg: Summer, Winter, Autumn, Fall
May ~ Mental Health
Read a book that spreads awareness on Mental Health. Feel free to choose a fiction or non-fiction book.
June ~ Celebrating Pride Month
Pick up a wonderful LGBTQIA book this month. There are some wonderful YA books from authors like Becky Albertalli, John Green, Rainbow Rowell, and more.
July ~ Back to Hogwarts
Muffy being a true blue Potterhead (he is sorted into Hufflepuff, y’know!), we shall be celebrating Harry Potter’s (and J.K. Rowling’s) birthday on July 31st. It would be absurd if I ask you to re-read Harry Potter. So, pick up a book involving magic! You may, of course, re-read any Harry Potter book too.
August ~ Celebrating Indian Authors
As we celebrate the 74th Indian Independence Day this month, let us pay tribute to some fantastic Indian authors. Pick up a book that is on the longlist/shortlist/winner of one of the following Indian Literary Awards – Sahitya Akademi, JCB Prize for Literature, Hindu Literary Prize, or Crossword Book Award.
September ~ Solve a Crime
Read a legal thriller, cozy mystery, true crime, nordic noir or a medical/forensic thriller.
October ~ Quaking in my Boots
Pick up a horror novel, ghost story, or creepy thriller that would scare you out of your wits!
November ~ Of Hobbies and Interests
Read a book that features something that you love to do. Eg: Eating ( 😛 ), Knitting, Chatting on Social Media, the list is endless. Go wild! 😛
December ~ Of Classics and Christmas
Read a cult classic or a book that is themed around Christmas. This is the time you may want to read that classic which you’ve always wanted to read but never got a chance to.
13. Slay that 2019 TBR: Read a book that you’ve been meaning to read in 2019 but couldn’t.
14. Relationships: Read a book that states a relationship in the title. Eg: Brother, Sister, Mother, Father, Husband, Wife, Girlfriend
15. Appreciate your Favorite Bookstagrammer/Book Reviewer: Read a book recommended by your favorite bookstagrammer or book reviewer. Do not forget to tag him/her on your post. Spread some love!
16. Yellow Yellow Daffodil: Read a book that has a yellow cover or the word ‘yellow’ in its title.
17. Of Royalty and Kingdoms: Read a book that revolves around royalty, kings, queens or kingdoms.
18. Bring me Flowers: Read a book that has the name of a flower in the title.
19. The Letter ‘E’: Read a book whose title starts with the letter E.
20. Last, but definitely not the least, Read a book sent by The Big Book Box. They’ve sent hundreds of books already in their carefully curated boxes. So, you’ll have no dearth of choices.
Save this handy graphic for reference!
Reading with Muffy – Sign Up Form
Here’s what you should do right away!
- Follow @muffytales on Instagram (This will help you find all the updates and announcements on our Instagram stories.)
- Write a blog post/ Instagram post announcing your participation in this challenge. You may or may not include your book choices because I understand that you would want to change your choices later.
- Link up the post below on the SignUp linky. Please note that I am looking for a unique blog post or Instagram post and not any direct links to your blog /social media account. I shall be deleting the direct links.
- It’d be amazing if you could give a shoutout on your social media using the hashtag #ReadingWithMuffy. Feel free to tag us on Instagram.
Here is the signup linky.
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!Click here to enter
That’s all for now, folks! You can find this SignUp Post on the sidebar too!
Thank you for joining in!
Please drop a comment on this post in case of any queries. We really look forward to your participation and also know of your book lists and choices.
P.S: Here is a list of some of my favorite reading challenges in 2020.
Corinne Rodrigues says
This is a fantastic challenge, Muffy and Shalini. I can see many people signing up!
What a fantastically detailed out and thought out challenge Shalzz- I am in and will do a post shortly!! Love the prompts-very innovative 🙂
Shalzmojo recently posted…#BookReview – The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George
Natasha Sinha says
Muffy’s back with a bang. You adorable darling. All the very best, Shalzz. ❤
Natasha Sinha recently posted…Growing Microgreens, Germinating Dreams: #WordlessWednesday
Love the challenge and the prompts. Will definitely try to participate.
Let me just check my physical backlog and see how many of them fit these prompts. Because I really need to get to them in 2020.
Shantala recently posted…Girl, Wash Your Face – and then – Girl, Stop Apologizing!
Thank you so much, Shantala. It’d mean a lot if you participate <3
Sundari Venkatraman says
Wow! This is so fascinating, Shalini. And you have really put in a lot of hard work into it. With my hectic and kind of erratic schedule, I might not be able to participate, but will definitely spread the word. I am sure a number of readers would love to be a part of this. 😀 <3 All the best!
Err… maybe I should try to challenge myself to #WRITINGWITHMUFFY on the topics you have shared 😛
Sundari Venkatraman recently posted…Book Blitz: REEMA’S MATCHMAKERS by Sundari Venkatraman
I would like to sign up, my post though will be made and up later, so i will link up in a few days. Count me in 🙂
Floryie BL says
woohoo I signed up.. I am looking forward to it.. is there a min page count for each book??
There are jo restrictions as such. However, not less than a 100 pages, maybe? And thank you for signing up. 🙂
Inderpreet Uppal says
Finally, I have my post ready. The linky is closed but here is my post. Will read along nonetheless. Muffy is too tempting not to 😀 https://inderpreetuppal.com/tbr-2020-and-reading-challenges/
Inderpreet Uppal recently posted…TBR 2020 and Reading Challenges